Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Because it's August

Did you know?
"August" comes from the Latin word "augustus," meaning "consecrated" or "venerable," which in turn is related to the Latin "augur," meaning "consecrated by augury" or "auspicious." In 8 B.C. the Roman Senate honored Augustus Caesar, the first Roman emperor, by changing the name of their month "Sextilis" to "Augustus." Middle English speakers inherited the name of the month of August, but it wasn't until the mid-1600s that "august" came to be used generically in English, more or less as "augustus" was in Latin, to refer to someone with imperial qualities.


August is also my birthday month. Funny, each day that goes by in life we find more and more the value of moments and the incredible gift of life. I have always thought that I wanted to live to be a healthy and spry 121 years, if not longer. I think that would just be so great. Do you hear that Willard Scott?! I am healthy, still very young to some that are older than myself. I am happy, incredibly blessed and surrounded by so many that I love and hold dear. Amen!

Image made by Kristin (me).

No comments: