Thursday, March 29, 2007

Dancing Fireflies



Just a quick note from an email that I found in my email log from Heartlight a while back. It brought back this memory of catching fireflies with a little friend of mine that was just as fascinated with their twinkle as I was. This is my favorite bible verse, and well, I just love what it says.

The Light Within, by Joseph Mazzella

Don't hide your light under a basket! Instead, put it on a stand
and let it shine for all. In the same way, let your good deeds
shine out for all to see, so that everyone will praise your
heavenly Father. (Matthew 5:15-16)

I just spent most of this evening on my back porch enjoying a yearly
miracle. Every year during the summer I have always been fortunate
enough to get a week or two of watching the fireflies light up the
world. I can remember seeing them and chasing after them when I was
only a child of four or five. I can remember being blessed by seeing thousands of
them lighting up my back yard these last few years.

Tonight they seemed to almost dance along as they flew over the
tombstones in the graveyard behind my house. Their shining lights
seemed to blink a beautiful reminder into my soul that there is no
death only everlasting light.

I sometimes wish that we humans could shine our
lights as clearly and beautifully as our firefly friends do, but I
guess God in His infinite, loving wisdom meant for us to shine our
light in other ways. We do, after all, have a powerful, glowing,
wondrous light within us. It comes out of us as goodness, kindness,
love, joy, compassion, caring, peace, happiness, and delight. It shines
from us whenever we share it and is more brilliant than a million
fireflies.

Make sure then to shine that light within you. Reach down into your
soul and bring out all the love, joy, goodness, and light that God
fills you with. Bring it out, nourish it, and make it burn bright. Then
share it with the world. Let it shine in your smile, glow in your kind
words, brighten others' lives through your loving actions, and
illuminate the world in your joyous life.

Be a daily miracle.

Be a firefly of love for God.

Let the light within you set the world aglow with its brilliance.

1 comment:

paige said...

no way...i blogged the same scripture before i even read yours....we truly are kindred spirits aren't we dear friend?
beautiful words. love reading your thoughts!
xoxo